1.3.12

after 10 years of growing our business, you would think that I would have confidence that the career of being a maker is working - but I'm only human and there are times you have self-doubt, and when it's busy you have to go with the flow and I tell myself that I work really hard because in the end it's for my kids and my family and I'm providing a life for them. I never regret the things that I have and it is hard to find the balance of family and work, especially when your workplace is below your home, it's hard to escape. j and I try to have constant routines like always having dinner together at the table and discussing all that has happened to each of us, even if p doesn't have much to tell. I often say to john that if there was ever a choice between work and family and there was a decision to be made, of course the family would come first - but I'm think for me to be a complete person I need to be a who I am, j always says I'm happiest working and making. so the constant struggle to balance both will be a constant challenge, but one that I will work at. when piper joined the family it was hard for lliam at first and he would often ask when she would be leaving and one time he even packed a bag with diapers and her clothes and put it by the door as a hint that she needed to go, but he's grown to adore and love her and they have a special bond and friendship that will be like no other and it warms my heart to see such love.

I hope you are all having a lovely week thus far, I think anybody who does textile work should have a mom who's a seamstress, boy I've been lucky this past few weeks, my mom is so fast, I'm doing my best to keep-up!

12 comments:

  1. dear you,

    I recognize so much in your words
    the balance between being a mother and being me
    not easy to find

    love

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your thoughts here
    and hurrah for talented mom's and dad's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sweet Lliam...thanks for that morning smile. We've certainly dealt with sibling rivalry in our house (it lasted a long time here) but they now have a nice friendship.

    I'm sure it's hard for you to separate work and family sometimes, but on the other hand you have amazing in-house artistic collaboration and support. Being true to yourself is important for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet blogpost today!It made me really think!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is obvious that your priorities are in the right place, and despite the doubts, you have much to be proud of: your beautiful work, your thriving business and most of all your precious family. I am in awe at how hard you work to be fully you, and so impressed that you do it with warmth, grace, talent and generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know you have my full respect & admiration for managing to keep up with everything beautifully. And I know I am not the only one thinking that. oxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm too young to actually decide it, but I think if I ever have kids, I'd drop the carreer-goal I'm setting out for myself. I think I wouldn't cope with the fact I use most of my energy for something else than my kids. That's why - even though I love the idea of becoming a mum - I'd rather stick to my goal right now. But, even if the decision ever comes where I have children, I'll be crafting all day for them. The need to craft won't stop, ever.

    I really enjoyed reading this post. :)

    Oh, and my brother is only one year younger and I'd tell him - during a fight - to hit me. I knew he'd get punished for hitting me. But now, my brother and I have a very strong friendship. We don't see each other very often, but the times we spend together are precious. I see a likely story with your two wonderful kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not an easy job, juggling your home studio, shop and kids, but you are doing an amazing job at it. My mom taught piano in our home every day after school and I remember lots of time with my sister finding things to do in the basement or outside while she needed a quiet teaching space. Growing up around music was good for me- Your kids will grow up being surrounded by making and that will inspire them in their lives, I'm sure in amazing ways!
    Best- h.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do it all with so much grace and generosity Arounna. You inspire me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always so inspiring to read you Arounna! Thank you for your honesty and generosity in sharing all your thoughts and stories... I'm sure you are the happiest when "making" and you should keep it that way, that makes you a better mom, a better wife, a better person altogether! and a very inspiring woman too!
    Thanks again!
    xo
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so touched by this post. I echo a lot things you wrote there. I often feels guity that I am not spending enough time with my kids, it was also hard for my son to accept his little sister in the beginning...ahh... too long for a comment :) Thanks for sharing your feeling and work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure your children will be so proud of what you and John have built up and of you both as makers; they'll be as inspired by your creativity and hard work as all of us readers. Although you may not feel as though you can spend as much time with them as you'd like, just the fact that you're all together at home when you're working must give them a great feeling of security and warmth.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving a comment - we read each one and will try our best to respond back.

please wait a moment for the comment to be moderated, only submit your comment once.